This movement is rumbling throughout the body of Christ - a revolutionary army of people ready to take up this mandate. We are actively pursuing the lost, the forgotten, and the poor to show them a God who is passionately in love with them. We stand ready with one heart, saying, "I will serve others and show them the hope they can have in Jesus."
We serve others for several simple reasons:
1) Jesus did (John 13). Our goal as Christians is to become more like Christ every day. As we study God's Word, we learn about Jesus and the way He lived. Because Jesus loved people, He served them to show them that love. Our goal is the same, to serve people so they would also come to know Jesus as their personal Savior.
2) The church and its purpose is best expressed outside its walls. We can't sit inside and wait for the world to come to us. We've got to get out in our communities and show people that we care and that there's a God who wants to heal them.
3) It's a tangible expression of the love of God for lost humanity. Words can't always fix our pain. People may know that God loves them, but maybe they haven't ever experienced God's love for them in a practical way. We can be a testimony to others of what God can do in their life!
4) It makes us irresistible to the world. When people see our genuine love for each other and others, they can't help but be drawn to it. Many times, serving can be a way to start conversation with people and give us an opportunity to tell them about the cross.
5) It tears down barriers and opens hearts. A kind word goes a long way. You never know what someone may be going through. Handing them that bottle of water or a hot meal may be just what they need for God to soften their hearts and open their minds to hear about the truth.
Why serve together?
There is value in shared ideas. In a group setting, we can draw on each other's gifts, talents and creativity to polish the original idea, making it even better and more effective in building God's Kingdom.
Creates momentum and energy to move things forward. There is so much excitement when we all work together, accomplishing a similar goal. God designed us to be part of the body and this is the body at its best! Each part doing it's job and moving forward with passion!
Unity proves the Gospel works. John 17:18-21 says, "Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth. I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one-as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. As we work together, we are living out God's Word!